NameBeach Bum Triathlon & Duathlon
Eventssprint triathlonsprint duathlon
Jun 13, 2020 Saturday Cancelled Jul 11, 2020 Saturday Cancelled
Extended Listing Information
Details from event's RunSignUp.com listing:PRESS RELEASE (JUNE 13)
PRESS RELEASE (JUNE 13)
All 2020 races of the South Atlantic Bank BEACH BUM Triathlon & Duathlon have been cancelled. Due to the rise in Covid-19 cases on Hilton Head Island and taking into account the recommendations of health officials, we believe its best for the safety of our community not to produce this event. The BEACH BUM races will be back in 2021 stronger than ever - and with more Coconut Monkeys!
Thank you, Alfred
The BEACH BUM TRIATHLON & DUATHLON Series rolls into 2020 with a lot of heat, salty water, and sand. This year's races promise lots more fun – and lots more coconut monkeys. We have scheduled 2 dates for the races (see below) and we hope you can join us on the beautiful Hilton Head beach and race for the Coconut Monkey!
Race Dates: June 13 (#1) -and- July 11 (#2)
Start Time: 7am
Race Location: Coligny Beach, Hilton Head Island.
Arrival Time: Arrive at race site no later than 6:15am.
Packet PickUp: Friday – 4pm to 6pm @ the Hilton Head Running Company (MAP)
Saturday – 6:00 to 6:30am @ Race Site (MAP)
Race Format: Triathlon = 500m Ocean Swim | 6mi Beach Bike | 3mi Beach Run
Duathlon = 1.5mi Beach Run | 6mi Beach Bike | 3mi Beach Run
Parking: There is ample parking across the street from the race site in the Coligny Beach Parking Lot – located just off of Pope Ave. – there are also parking spaces near the beach.
Body Marking: Body Marking will begin at 6:00am at the race site.
Pre-Race Instructions/Meeting: This meeting will take place at the transition area on the beach at approx. 6:45am. The pre-race meeting we will go over the race instructions, course, and any other logistics. This meeting will also provide time to answer any questions the triathletes have.
Results: Results will be posted on the race website
Awards Ceremony: Awards presentation will begin immediately after the last finisher completes the race. The awards ceremony will take place at the Coligny Beach access area. You must be present to collect your award – or have someone get it for you. Awards will not be mailed out. The awards ceremony is expected to take place at 8:45am.
Awards Divisions: Awards are given in each gender to the top ten finishers 39 – under, top ten 40 – over, and top five 60 – over. Also, awards are given to the top five relay teams overall.
Post-race Refreshments: There will be lots to eat and drink following the race – refreshments will be located at the Coligny Beach access area.
- The transition area is located on the beach. The bike racks will not be numbered – the triathletes may rack their bike first come – first serve.
- Only participants are allowed in the transition area. The bikes racks will be fenced in so that only participants can access the area.
- No bike storage overnight.
- Only the race participant may remove his/her bike from the transition area.
- Participants must run their bikes to the transition area entrance before mounting and must dismount at the transition area entrance upon completing the bike leg.
Swim (Triathlon only):
- Swim caps are provided in the race packet and must be worn.
- Be prepared to swim at 7am
- The swim is a mass start – meaning, all swimmers begin at the same time.
- The swim is parallel to the shore and with the current. So, swimmers will swim approx. 35m out around the first buoy – swim 430m down passing the second buoy on their inside and at the third buoy – swim 35m in to shore. There are three yellow buoys in the water. Swimmers must swim on the outside of the buoys at all times.
- There will be plenty of water support in the water. If you feel you need assistance during the swim, roll over on your back and raise your hand in the air.
- Swimmers will exit the water directly in front of the transition area.
- There will be water available for the swimmers as they exit the ocean.
- The bike course is entirely on the beach.
- Bikers will ride 1.5mi down the beach to a turn around – the ride 3mi down the beach to another turn around – then 1.5mi back to the transition area. The turn around(s) will be staffed with volunteers and very visible – but it is up to the triathlete to be aware of where they are at all times.
- The run course is entirely on the beach
- Duathletes will start their race with a 1.5mi run
- Duathletes and triathletes will run the same 3rd leg of the race – a 3mi run. The run is a 1.5mi down the beach to a turn around (aid station) and back to the finish.
Is this race entirely on the beach?
Yes, aside from swimming in the ocean, you will bike and run on the hard flat beach.
Are headphones allowed?
No, please refrain from using headphones during the bike and run portion this event.
What type of bike do I need?
You may use any type bike you prefer – but we recommend a fat tire bike (eg., mtn. bike, beach cruiser, hybrid…) for best handling.
Are wetsuits allowed?
Yes, this race is not sanctioned by USAT – so wetsuits are always allowed – no matter the water temperature.
Is there an age limit to compete?
All swimmers must be 15 years old on race day. So, a triathlete racing solo has to be at least 15 on race day. But, team members may be under 15 if they are the biker or runner (and, the swimmer is at least 15).
Does the Duathlon and Triathlon start at the same time?
Yes, when the triathletes start the swim - the duathletes will start their 1st run.
INCLEMENT WEATHER PLAN
The safety of our participants, volunteers, and staff is our paramount concern - and, this concern shapes our decisions regarding inclement weather. Any decisions regarding the weather will be made the morning the event. We plan on producing a great event and we will be at the race site ready to do so. Should the weather pose any threat to safety - we will postpone the start of the event until the weather clears. If the weather does not cooperate after a reasonable amount of time, we will make the decision to cancel the event. Any decision regarding rescheduling the event or entry credit to another event will be made as quickly as possible and be communicated via email to all participants.
UNABLE TO ATTEND?
We do not mail race shirts to registered participants that are unable to attend the event.
For the love of all that is good and moisture wicking...
ALWAYS visit the race's website for the most complete and accurate race information.
Added to our DirectoryMay 7, 2012
Last Updated in our DirectoryJun 15, 2020
This event has concludedWe hope to update it for 2021
Page Views - 375
We began reporting page views for details pages on November 1, 2019. Today's page views will be reported tomorrow.
Connections - 262
Connections are when someone clicks a link for this listing, to go to the listing's official website, web page, information, etc.
We began reporting connections on November 1, 2019. Today's connections will be reported tomorrow.
Updates, Corrections, or Problems
Run-Time: Saved Race
- A claimed race is one that you are a contact for. We can email you when we update our listing, or if we have questions or concerns. You can schedule reminder emails to renew your race listings.
- You must Create an Account and Log In, or use an Authorization Code to claim Listings.
- Learn more about Claimed Listings