Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Maine Marathon
Return to Forum: Maine Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2011 Recap - Second of 2 marathons in a weekend
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Oct 12, 2011 Reply
After finishing the New Hampshire Marathon on Saturday, we took the scenic route to Portland, Maine, and arrived at packet pick-up just as they finished tearing down the expo.  Packets were available for pick up until 7pm, and we walked in at 6:59:59.

Race SWAG included a gender specific shirt, cinch bag, miscellaneous free items, and a bunch of free samples of snacks: chips, pretzels, protein bars, corn thins. I love free snacks. Great SWAG.

We checked into our hotel, grabbed a quick dinner, and my legs craved an ice bath.  I filled the hotel garbage can with ice, grabbed my Sudoku, and immersed myself in ice water for the prescribed 10 minutes. With my legs appeased, I began to feel like I might possibly be able to run another marathon the next day.

I came out of the bathroom, and asked Bill 'Uh, what's that sound?'.  Thunder and rain, he replied. I looked out the window, and saw a mild monsoon.  I hoped that this was the rain that was forecast for tomorrow, and it would arrive and leave early. No such luck.  It arrived, and didn't leave until Monday.

Marathon morning was rainy, cool and windy. We stopped at the local WalMart for a $0.88 fashion statement... the rain poncho.  Best $0.88 we spent all weekend.

We had steady rain and wind from before the start, through about mile 14.  The wind kept me from being able to wear the rain poncho's hood, which ended up filling with water and I could feel it bouncing around.  I emptied it a couple times.  By about mile 10, I was completely soaked, even with the rain poncho.  Between the arm holes, neck hole, wind and constant rain, the poncho couldn't keep up.  
I discarded it somewhere after our turn-around.

We had a few miles without rain, but the humidity prevented any sort of drying out.  The rain started back up before I finished.

My legs felt better than they did on Saturday, and way better than I thought they would.  I felt better in the second half, and picked up the pace.  
I was able to run the second half 5 minutes faster than the first, completing in about 3:45.

The rain continued after I finished, encouraging us to head to the hotel after grabbing a quick post-race snack.

Tired from 2 marathons, and discouraged by the rain, we had little energy left for any sight seeing in Portland.  After being drenched for several hours, I just wanted to stay dry.  We went to the Sea Dog Brewing Company for a burger that REALLY hit the spot.  

The rain continued all afternoon and evening, and we relaxed in the hotel room watching sports on tv.  I don't get much of a chance at home to sit back and do nothing, so, I guess this was a welcome break.  That's what I keep telling myself anyway, trying to justify having no motivation to tour a city I had never been to.

For those keeping score: states 16, marathons 39, marathons or longer 52.