This was an overmarketed, overpriced, underproduced disappointment. Website promises "12-15 obstacles," "fire jumping," and a kids' event.
Obstacle descriptions from website vs. actual obstacles:
- Gladiator Bars – Make your way across the gladiator bars while you’re suspended in the air. (NOT THERE)
- Walls - This part of the course is littered with walls varying in height; make your way over them however you can. (only 2 walls...1 x 6', 1 x 8', both very easy to climb)
- Cargo Net - Three sets of cargo nets at 8’, 10’, and 14 feet one after another are quite the climb. (1 "A" frame cargo net, MAYBE 8'-10')
- Ab Crawl - You guessed it, get down on your stomach to crawl thru more than 80 feet of cammo-nets. (MAYBE 20'...maybe)
- Tire Valley – You’ve never seen tires quite like this. Make your way up, around, and through a never-ending valley of tires. (a roughly 10' cube-like structure with tires on the ground to step in and tire swings hanging from the top, presumably to knock you about...not)
- Tunnel Crawl – Crawl your way through a series of dark, damp tunnels. (1 length, maybe 10' of 24"? black plastic pipe, dry, not dark)
- Battle Walls – Without using your hands, high step your way over each post. (nothing like this...maybe the over/under hurdles? 3-4 hurdles about 4' high)
- Balance Beams – Balance is a must on the downhill balance logs. Don’t miss a step or it’s back to the beginning. (2 sets of balance beams...1 reg and 1 up and down low-A-frame sort of deal)
- Rope Bridge – Hold on tight while you crawl upside down along 29 feet of rope. (NOT THERE)
- Glory Wall – Getting over the 8 ft Glory Wall is a great accomplishment, so get your biceps ready! (NOT THERE....the only walls were the ones mentioned above...nothing requiring great biceps)
- Monkey Bars – Make your way across the hardest monkey bars you’ve ever seen, while you are suspended in the air. (NOT THERE)
- Fence Jumps – Jump and slide your way through a series of wooden fences. All of your body strength will be required on this obstacle. (NOT THERE...unless this was the hurdles mentioned in #7)
- Mud Pit – The race is finished off with a giant mud pit that must be crossed in order to finish. (Town of Cary reportedly only allowed a mud puddle...literally...I ran through the middle and didn't even need to wash my shoes)
And keep in mind, there were NO other obstacles to replace the ones NOT THERE. I know several active preschoolers who could have run this course. Also, no monitors for safety or anything anywhere on the course (only start/finish). NO water stops even though temps hit upper 80's and much running was in the sun. NO food at finish. NO after party/activities of any kind. NO finisher medals (they said they forgot to bring them and will mail them...we shall see). NO photographers (of course, if I were them, I wouldn't have wanted photographic evidence floating around, either). They also cancelled the kids' event because not enough kids preregistered. That's a lot of nothing for $85+. I was not alone in my opinions. Their Facebook page was flooded with complaints and demands for refunds after the race. However, all of these comments were deleted within a day. I WILL NOT do another Gladiator branded race and I WILL NOT RECOMMEND them to ANYONE.
BUYER BEWARE...RUNNER BE WARNED!!!!