Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Fox Valley Marathon
Return to Forum: Fox Valley Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2010 Recap - Inaugural Event
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Sep 19, 2010 Reply
Start AreaI chose the Fox Valley Marathon for a couple reasons. Driving distance from home, and the course is along the Fox River.  Since I run along the Fox River in Waukesha every day, I felt an affinity for a race several miles downstream from my home course.

Running friends Karen and Louise also signed up for the Fox Valley marathon.  Running friend Nancy, who moved to Naperville a couple years ago, ran the half.Karen Louise Mary

Got up just a tad after 3am. Arrived at the start and was able to park about 100 yards from the start/finish area.

The course was a couple out-and-back legs along the Fox River.  We mostly ran on narrow bike path.  I felt a bit crowded for several miles, but after about 11 miles, I found a good spot in between pace groups and had plenty of room.

There were plenty of aid stations, and the event was very well organized.  Perks included a cinch sack, long sleeved technical shirt, and a couple free samples.

At the junction where the out-and-back legs meet, I was treated to some familiar faces.  Bill's sister, her husband, and their 2 boys where there to cheer.  This was an idea spot, because we passed through 3 times.Mary Mile 10

I ran this marathon just 18 hours after finish the North Face Endurance marathon.  I have been told by many people that I am nuts. Guess I cannot argue with that.  I wanted to do back-to-back marathons.  I plan to run a marathon in all 50 states, and to accomplish that, will want to travel and do 2 marathons in a weekend in nearby states.  I wanted to know what that would feel like before investing in travel plans.

My plan was to run both marathons comfortably.  After finishing North Face yesterday, my legs were pretty sore.  I had my traditional ice bath, but still felt sore.  I went to bed worried that I would regret this decision to run 2 marathons in 2 days.  I decided to set a very relaxed goal of 4 hours, but worried if I would get done in 5.

I intended to line up with the 4:00 pace group, but ended up just ahead of them.  The event used a wave start in order to minimize crowding.  Each pace group was sent out about 15 to 30 seconds apart.  After a couple miles, I caught up with the 3:40 pace group.  By about 12 miles, I was ahead of them, and had plenty of space.

I stayed comfortable, and picked up the pace at the end, and finished with a 3:33.  Certainly not a PR, but I was really happy with that.  My legs and feet were sore, but I felt strong the whole time.  My quads burned on the few down hills that we had.

Post race food was typical bagels, bananas, water, soda, snacky stuff.  Finisher medal was nice too.

Bill and I had lunch on the way home at Culver's.  Cheeseburger and mashed potatoes. Finished with Pumpkin Pecan custard.  Happy tummy.  Dozed a bit on the way home, then had a nap and then another ice bath.