Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: ZOOMA Atlanta Half Marathon & 5K
Return to Forum: ZOOMA Atlanta Half Marathon & 5K Race Info
Topic: stay away
1 to 2 of 2
Format For Printing
Posted By: dave Posted: Nov 9, 2009 Reply

After running this 1/2 marathon I would have to say that it is one you should stay away from. The start was composed of both the 5K and 1/2 leaving at the same time, this made for a jam at the beginning of the race. There were only two timing mats, one at the start and one at the end. There were only 6 water stations through out the race course which is not bad but those who were handing out the water never seemed to be ready for the runners.The finishers gift as it is called, looks like something out of a bubblegum machine, rubber necklace with a charm the size of a quarter made of brushed aluminum. I will say that the course was good and offered some great challenges to runners who are not used to hills, but you could do this on your own and save the entry fee. I know this is a women's race and I was doing it for my wife, but I will have to say that it seems unclear as to who benifits from the money generated. I saw very little that would make a women think that it was a "girls weekend" so save your time and money and avoid this race. Maybe they will work on it and make it better in the future but until then don't waste your time.

Posted By: ZOOMARaceDirector Posted: Nov 13, 2009 Reply
Reply To:
dave
From the ZOOMA Atlanta Race Director:
Dave, I'm sorry you did not enjoy some of the aspects of ZOOMA Atlanta. We have received many many emails from women who had positive experiences at the race, and I'm sorry you were not among that group of happy runners.  I am wondering if part of the attractiveness of the race is that it is composed of thousands of women... and while we welcome man to participate, perhaps this is something that may be lost on male participants!  All of the women who have commented thus far on the necklace have liked it, for example.

You did not mention the complimentary light breakfast and chocolate provided to all finishers. Or the inspirational quotes on the course. Or the massage and shopping opportunities at the finish line, or the awesome band at the post-race party  (Modern Logic - love them!) Or the women-fit New Balance technical race tee provided to all participants. Or the super-convenient packet pick up.

I understand that it will likely be impossible for us, as race organizers, to delight every single runner on race day.  That said, I do hope that participants can see the good with the bad.  Despite the fact that you were disappointed with the necklace, I hope that you were able to appreciate the other fun touches at the event.  In the end, we are working very hard to make race day an awesome experience for as many participants as possible.  (And, I should note, the race netted $0 this year... race organizers worked for free!  The money from the event went to (1) a donation to St Jude Children's Research Hospital, (2) police expenses, (3) race t-shirts and supplies, etc.)  Dave, please feel free to call us at 703-349-5335 if you would like to discuss further where the money from the event was spent, or any other aspect of the race.

Happy Running!
Brae Blackley
Founder & Executive Director, ZOOMA Women's Race Series