Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Running in Wisconsin
Return to Forum: Running in Wisconsin
Topic: Help
1 to 3 of 3
Format For Printing
Posted By: Gene Berres Posted: Oct 23, 2009 Reply
Hey,

I am new to trail, and especially ultra distance, running. I recently ran my first 50K - the Glacial Trail 50 in the Northern Kettle Moraine forest of south-central Wisconsin (7:24:24 I only know one speed - slow :D ). I am setting my sites on a 50mi in Fall 2010. 

I am a fitness and recreational runner who just "enjoys the run."

I am looking for an "appropriate" or "good" first 50miler. I would prefer something close to home if possible - the Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois/Michigan area - preferably Wisconsin.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks and God's Best,

Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Oct 23, 2009 Reply
Reply To:
Gene Berres
Hi,

I too ran the Glacial 50K!  I loved it.  Congratulations to you!

I am new to ultras this year.  I also ran the Ice Age 50 miler in May.  I would definitely recommend that one for your first 50 miler.  It is well organized, and a very nice course.  I've also heard from experienced trail ultra runners, that is a relatively easy course - compared to other trail ultras.

I found the footing at Ice Age to be much kinder than the footing at Glacial.  Ice Age is not quite as rocky.  It has rocky sections, but I found it much more runnable.

Ice Age is in May, and starts and ends at the Nordic ski area near La Grange.  You can find the link on this site under May Ultras. or by clicking here

Good Luck!

Mary
Posted By: Gene Berres Posted: Oct 31, 2009 Reply
Reply To:
Webmaster Mary
Mary,

Thank you for your response.  It is appreciated.  I will look into the Ice Age 50.  I run on the Nordic Ski trails and the John Muir trails quite regularly so this may be a good first 50 miler.

Thanks again and God's Best,

Gene