Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Bedford Stuyvesant 10K Community Run
Return to Forum: Bedford Stuyvesant 10K Community Run Race Info
Topic: Poorly organized
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: mssoul Posted: Oct 12, 2009 Reply
This race touts itself as "one of NYC's premier 10ks" which couldn't be more wrong. Heres a few reasons why:

1) There was no start line. There was no directions or guidance as to what direction we were to run in. Runners and walkers lined up together. It was complete chaos.

2) The police motorcade got the route wrong. I was with the lead group and they took us through an extra loop. The lead pack ended up running approximately 6.5 miles.

3) The race's website promised mile markers at miles 1,3,5 which never materialized. Also on the website, water/aid stations were discussed. None of these were available. I finished in 40 mins but I know there were some people out there for a long time. Thankfully the weather was on the cooler side or else serious problems could have arisen. Regardless, there should have been at  least one water station.

4) Certain streets were not closed off and runners had to fight oncoming cars. I'm not sure about you, but risking my life is not worth it to run a race.

In the end, this race is exactly what its name is: a community run. If you are a more serious athlete looking for a good 10k to race, this run will frustrate you to no end. I, for one, will be sticking to NYRR sponsored events but will come out to cheer for those who decide to come run community runs.