Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Running in Michigan
Return to Forum: Running in Michigan
Topic: How often should I advance my distance?
1 to 2 of 2
Format For Printing
Posted By: neverquit Posted: May 6, 2009 Reply
I've just started running recently and am now running 5 miles per run.  How many times should I run this distance before moving up?  Also, how much should I advance... from 5 to 7.5 miles, or more?  I am in my mid 40's and thus far, remain injury free.... any advice would be appreciated!

Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: May 7, 2009 Reply
Reply To:
neverquit

Congratulations on starting running!

A good rule of thumb is to increase by no more than 10% per week.  About every 3 or 4 weeks, its a good idea to cut back for a week, and then continue to advance.  This gives your body a chance to recover and re-energize. 

I would also recommend only advancing your mileage on alternate days, depending on how often you run.  So, for example, increase mileage a little bit on your Saturday, Monday and Wednesday runs.  If those are days you are running.  If you are running 6 times a week, take it easy on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.  If you are only running 3 times a week, then I would not run on consecutive days, but might walk on the off days, or a very slow easy short run.  If you run 4 or 5 times a week, adjust accordingly.  You want to give your body a day between increased physical stress, whether you run that day or not.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing!

Webmaster Mary