Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Marshall University Marathon
Return to Forum: Marshall University Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2012 Recap
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Dec 15, 2012 Reply
Updated:
Dec 18, 2012
OK, I am a tad behind on my blogs. Been really busy. Maintaining a directory of 36,000 races keeps us pretty busy.

Webmaster Bill and I road-tripped, with training partner Dennis Hanna's daughter and her husband, Abby and Joey. Joey and I are both  on this 50 sub 4 quest. (read previous blogs for more details).

We call this a seagull style trip. Swoop in, grab a marathon, and fly out. We made the 9+ hour drive on Saturday, passing fabulous business establishments in southern Ohio such as 'Frank's Deer Urine'. Not kidding. They have a facebook page with 204 likes.

Huntington is the absolute closest point in West Virginia to Wisconsin. We were barely across the border, and could see Ohio the entire time.

Joey and I ran the marathon Sunday morning. Abby ran the half. For the marathoners, its a double loop course. Mostly flat. Nice sections through neighborhoods, parks, and the Marshall University campus. We finish on the football field, honoring the team that died in a plane crash in 1970, as portrayed in the movie "We Are Marshall".

We finished, met a couple other 50 sub 4ers, grabbed a snack, a shower, and headed back to Wisconsin.

As recommended by Abby and Joey, we stopped at a German brew pub in the Cincinnati area, The Hofbrauhaus. Wonderful beer pretzels and bacon cheeseburgers for lunch, and of course a beer. We got stuck in post Bengals game traffic, but other than that, everything went smoothly.

Here's the standings:
Sub 4 hour marathon states: 24
Marathon or longer states: 28
Completed marathons: 55
Marathon or longer: 75

(you do know I have to look these numbers up every time, right?)